Leading safety tips for new homeowners in Jamestown
If you just bought your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and yours. You’re probably considering the ways you can individualize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, be sure you give thought to home security too. Keeping the ones you care about protected should always be a point of emphasis, and we’ll show you the way with these safety tips for new homeowners in Jamestown.
Perform a safety audit of your new Jamestown property
Now that safety is top of mind, see what your new home has in place. To begin, make certain you have functioning fire alarms. Inspect each one and change batteries if necessary. Are CO detectors present? Do you need a water sensor in your basement? This is also a perfect time to upgrade door locks and inspect all locking mechanisms on windows. Go through every space and get to know your new house.
Smart security tips for your Jamestown home
Once you’ve finished your preliminary inspection of locks and safety alarms, you should look into elevating your property’s safety. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Jamestown.
- Opt for a full-featured home security system. One of the best tools for new homeowners in Jamestown is a home security system. The latest in wireless advancements let you keep a close watch on your residence even when you’re away. You can scan up-to-the-second video footage, control locking systems, and even communicate with people on your front porch right from your cell phone. You may personalize your defense with worthwhile security features like video cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outdoor lights with motion sensors are a smart approach in deterring possible burglars. You can even incorporate them with surveillance cameras. The triggering of a motion sensor can signal your surveillance to start recording.
- Take care of your yard. Do you have a clear sightline of your property through your windows? Are there large trees and bushes blocking the view? Eliminate possible places to hide by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will appreciate it as well.
- Make friends with others in your area. Talking about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you know people nearby, there’s a greater chance they’ll inform you if they see anything suspicious. You can also join your community’s social media group if one is available.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re home by turning on smart lighting at scheduled times. This is a fantastic tool when you’re away.